Animal Therapy Dog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first instinct would be to pick a small-ish dog. Many people, even those you intend to help, may be intimidated by a giant dog, no matter how well mannered. Try for 50lbs or less or get a well-known breed (aka golden, lab, collie, etc).

And from a trainer standpoint (I've been training for several years and will be taking my national certification test soon), this statement could get you in a lot of hot water (with other trainers, particularly), so I would seriously recommend doing some major amounts of research into protection dogs before even thinking about picking a dog for that reason. It is NOT something to mess around with, especially if you are new to training AND if you expect the same dog to be a therapy dog. It's not impossible, but it's downright dangerous in the wrong/inexperienced hands.

...and would like one that is capable of "protection", since I will probably be alone most of my college career.

Since I've had a sudden change in career interest due to the high possiblity of me having an autoimmune illness such as Multiple Sclerosis and being unable to pull the long hours of a vet, I've decided to make my own profession from a moosh of careers. I'd like to do animal therapy, rehabilitate animals from abuse situations/fighting/etc, behavioral studies, and public speaking against animal cruely.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice on a dog breed that think would be a good therapy dog? I know that all dogs have individual personalities, but I should probably start with a breed that is relatively easy, as I have never personally trained a dog other than running around the backyard with Knnick whooping in my undies when I was wee. I adore large to gigantic dogs, and would like one that is capable of "protection", since I will probably be alone most of my college career.

All in all, just suggestions for a good dog breed for a beginner dog trainer who wants to help both people and animals in her lifetime. :) Thank you!

Most therapy dogs are either Labrador retrievers or Golden retrievers. They can be very social and people pleasing. They are gentle, patient and smart by nature.

Latest posts

Back